JE Family Reserve Tesco 20

Family Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

An elegant example of this noble variety, showing layers of ripe blackcurrants, red berry, mulberry and black plums with hints of cedar, meat extract and mixed spice. A balanced wine with lots of fruit and fine notes of spice and tobacco on the palate. This wine displays a smooth, complex finish. The velvety character is a result of generous oak maturation resulting in finely textured tannins and a long-lasting finish. Complex and layered.

Technical Notes

All grapes were hand harvested and de-stemmed but not crushed. Whole berries were transferred into stainless steel tanks for fermentation. The whole berries were cold soaked for 5 days before being inoculated. Fermentation lasted 15 days between 18 – 25˚C in stainless steel tanks. A carefully planned pump over and delestage schedule ensured good aromatic extraction. The wine was thereafter subjected to a two-week post fermentation skin maceration where malolactic fermentation took place. After being pressed off the skins 70% of the final wine was left to mature in a combination of 225 L, 300L and 500L French oak barrels for 16 months. The other 30% ware oak matured in stainless steel tanks with staves for 10 months. Only before bottling the different components and barrels were blended.