GFV Shiraz 2017

Shiraz 2017

Dark ruby/purple colour. This vintage has beautiful concentrated dark fruit flavours showing a mix of dark cherry, raspberry, blueberry and hints of violets and white pepper. Full bodied wine, with finely structured tannins complimenting an elegant, soft finish. Ready to drink now and can age until 2020.

Technical Notes

The grapes were handpicked early in the morning from 2 different blocks on the farm. The grapes were picked at 24 balling and stored overnight in the cold room. The next morning, they were hand sorted and destemmed but not crushed. The whole berries were cold soaked for 5 days before inoculation. Fermentation took about 15 days at 18 – 28˚C with a carefully planned pump over schedule to ensure soft tannins. Only free run juice was used and malolactic fermentation was done in barrels. 10% of the wine went through carbonic maceration with the other 90% naturally fermented. The wine was matured for 4 months in American and French oak barrels. After final blending the wine was only filtered before bottling.